VAN EYCK Monument GHENT, detailed pictures.
The monument honouring the brothers Jan and Hubert Van Eyck, painters of the Mystic Lamb retable in the Saint Bavo Cathedral was commissioned in 1912 and finished in 1913, in time for the World exhibition in Ghent.
The architect was Valentin Vaerwyck, the sculptor Geo Verbanck.
The realization of this monument with 28 full-size figures in such a short time was a real 'tour de force'. It shows the people of Ghent paying tribute to the great painters. Geo Verbanck superbly succeeded in rendering every single figure with a striking individual facial expression.
It is worthwile concentrating on the details of this monumental sculpture.